Sunday, October 31, 2021

The Buick Prototype is Mine.

 The readership of this blog is near zero, I know, and that's okay. I still need some sort of place to consolidate all my thoughts through this hyperfixation of mine. That means I'm going to share some exciting news with all... three of you.

So, I've talked about Bob Mothersbaugh's Buick models being in the possession of author Jade Dellinger. But there was one detail I intentionally left out. Those two were not the only two he had. No... there was one more.


Yes, my friends, there was a white one in his collection as well. It was the prototype version, displayed at NAMM in 1982 and lying low for decades hence. I conveniently left out any mention of it because I wanted to keep a particular detail a secret. Mr. Dellinger was considering selling it and simply keeping Bob's.

Now, an opportunity like this presents itself at the very most once in a lifetime. I had a replica Mercury I was going to work on, but the chance to own a genuine USA-made J.B. Player was something I could not possibly pass up. Jade gave me a price. I accepted and got the money together. I was ready by the early October.

And on the 28th, it arrived.


I've gotta say, it's better than I could ever have dreamed. Dana Zacuto was a master. It sounds like new wave--the Motherbucker is powerful but still bright and harmonically rich, like a beefy, MSG-seasoned Strat. The neck, as Eric Lamb said, is supremely comfortable and fast-feeling. The action is incredibly low, on par with some Michael Kelly guitars I've played. This is truly a player's guitar. It's effortless. Easily my greatest treasure.

I'll get to specifics in the next post, but in the meantime I'd like to thank Jade Dellinger one more time. You've made my year.

I've been so enthused about owning this thing I made this:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Details about the Buick

Now that I have one of these guitars in my hands, let us explore some of the finer points that are relevant to guitar players. First and for...